Sunday, August 16

Living room walls

I cannot decide how I want to paint the walls in the living room. I have gone back and forth on color ideas, from green to gray, back to green, to...purple? navy? No, I think I do want to stick with green, because it will look so nice with the brown walls of the adjacent dining room, but the bigger question is what green? Olive? Forest? Man, it is driving me crazy. I think I'm probably trying too hard to make the perfect choice (it is just paint, afterall), but it is the living room - the most used room - and the centerpiece of the house. It will be the first thing you see when you walk in the front door and you will see it when sitting down to eat. And more than anything else, I want to be comfortable when I sit down to watch t.v., and I happen to be someone who is just not comfortable in an imperfect space!

Here are some ideas I'm batting around:

First idea:

Image courtesy of Wall to Wall Stencils

This is a very library green; a green that you would see in a hunter's lodge in the English countryside or on a pool table in a classic old club. Even though it's a color on the cooler side of the color scale, there's a warmth that radiates from this kind of green.

Image courtesy of House Beautiful

Second idea:

Image courtesy of Wall to Wall Stencils

I see this as a more fashion-forward color; very Ralph Lauren safari chic. It also has military undertones, which can be sexy, if done right. I think olive could actually be a very ugly color, taken alone, but when surrounded by the right accessories, it would be beautiful.

Image courtesy of coco & kelley

I'm also considering something a little more unique, like wallpaper. Here is a sample that I love:

Image courtesy of Wallpapers to Go

With this in the living room, I would feel like I was always wearing an awesome nubby fall sweater or blazer (the kind with courdory elbow patches, you know?). However, it turns out that wallpaper is kinda expensive. Darn it! So here's another option:

Image courtesy of stencilease.com

It's actually a herringbone stencil! I would either do it in two shades of green (not too contrasting - I want it to be a subtle effect) or, even more subtly, one of those greens shown above with a high gloss urethane on top. I saw this done on HGTV once. Could be cool.

1 comment:

  1. I can't decide how I feel about that stencil...on my computer screen, it looks sort of like a really traditional quilt. Which is not the look you're going for, I think.

    ReplyDelete