Monday, June 1

Inspiration Part 1: Downstairs

I change my mind five times a day, but this is the way I am currently envisioning each room in the house:

The Living Room:

Image courtesy of cookiemag.com

To conjure up the cozy, distinguished atmosphere of an English manor house, I would like to paint the walls a dark loden green. I might even take it one step further and line the living room with this totally awesome green herringbone wallpaper:

Image courtesy of Wallpapers To Go

The living room is small, so I think we could get away with making a big statement on the walls. 

Keeping with the manor house theme, this is my dream sofa:

Image courtesy of apartmenttherapy.com

Oh, the Chesterfield. It would probably cost us as much as the house (especially if you factor in the shipping and handling from England), so I would settle for a touch of leather in a classic club chair. Bonus points for upholstery studs. 

The Dining Room:

First of all, I would like to install white beadboard wainscoting, so that when we paint it navy blue, it doesn't feel like a dark dungeon. 


The navy blue and white room would perfectly showcase my collection of blue and white china:

Image courtesy of Madison Magazine

And, because every long dining table should have a chandelier centered over it, here you go:

Image courtesy of cotedetexas.blogspot.com

Yup, that's right. It's a boat. Tacky? Maybe. Awesome? I think so. 

The Library:

Image courtesy of itsgreattobehome.net

This room will be small and simple, with accents of red. It has wood paneled walls and I think Mr. Marshall and I are the only young couple left in America who would keep them this way, instead of ripping them out or painting them white. Instead, I'd like to completely cover all the non-window walls with bookshelves. Lord knows we have enough books. I would like to include a game table for our Scrabble nights and a red Oriental rug (the more threadbare, the better):

Image courtesy of Persian Oriental Rug Review

When Mr. Marshall and I win the lottery, I would love to have every book we own leather-bound. Look how beautiful:

Image courtesy of Baskerville Bindings

No comments:

Post a Comment